Want to travel more for less? You’ve come to the right place!
Wanderlust Movement is the go-to destination for South African travellers. I’ve compiled all my best tips for green mamba passport holders from three years of globetrotting.
On this page, you’ll find a curated list of the best articles to help you plan your trip.
From exploring Europe on a shoestring to avoiding visa applications altogether – ya girl’s got you covered.
Budget Travel Destination Guides
Travelling with a third world passport is not always easy – or cheap.
But combining that with the weak South African Rand and globetrotting seems out of reach for most Saffas.
Or is it?
I’ve created budget travel destination guides for some of the most popular and affordable countries for South Africans. Whether you want to explore the ancient streets of Rome or relax on Bali’s black sand beaches – I’ll show you how to do it without taking out a loan.
- How to Travel Bali on a Budget as a Frugal South African
- How to Travel Krabi on a Budget with Less Than R 2,000
- How to Travel Rome on a Budget as a South African
- How to Travel Europe on a Budget: A Complete Guide
- How to Travel Kenya on a Budget
- 10 of the Cheapest African Countries to Visit
- 50+ Genius Ways To Save Money for Travel
Visa Guides for South Africans
The bane of any South African with itchy feet.
But did you know we can travel to over 100+ countries without stepping foot in a visa application centre?
I curate a list of the best visa-free destinations for South Africans each year that are also Rand-friendly.
And if you do want to travel to a country that requires a sacrifice, follow my visa application guides. I detail exactly what paperwork I submitted as well as any tips to help you get yours on the first try.
- 12 Best Visa-Free Countries for South Africans to Visit in 2018
- How to Apply for Your Schengen Visa as a South African
- How to Get Your Visa on Arrival for Vietnam in 3 Easy Steps
- South Africans: How to Get Your Visa on Arrival for Iran
- How to Get Your UK Visa Application Approved From South Africa
How To Become Location Independent
“So, uh, Lauren, how do you afford to travel SO much?”
That’s a question I get asked a lot by my family, friends and readers.
I started my own freelance copywriting business. It’s a completely remote position that enables me to work from anywhere in the world – provided there is an internet connection.
Want to ditch your desk as well?
Here are my top resources for budding South African digital nomads:
- The Best 40+ Sites For Finding Remote Work Online
- How I Earn Money Online as a Digital Nomad
- 10 Tips For Working From Home To Maximise Your Productivity
- 10+ of the Best Side Hustles for Introverts
- Best Tools for Freelancers: What You Need to Run Your Online Business
- How to Become a Digital Nomad in 6 Easy Steps
- How to Find Clients Online: 10+ Actionable Strategies for Freelancers
- Freelance Writing for Beginners: How to Ditch Your Desk & Travel the World
- How to Start Freelancing With No Experience
- 10 Easy Ways You Can Make Money While Travelling The World
- What You Need to Know About Teaching English in Thailand as a South African
After three years of travelling, I think I’ve mastered the art of travelling light. I’m paranoid about losing my checked in bag, so I rarely go anywhere with more than a carry-on.
Even if my trip is two or three months long.
Attending one of South Africa’s biggest music festivals? Want to learn more about minimalist travel? Or want a thorough packing guide to help you decide what to bring and what to leave at home?
These guides will turn you into a trip packing pro!
- The Ultimate How-To Guide for Surviving Oppi-Koppi Festival
- The Ultimate Road Trip Essentials Packing List (+ Free Checklist!)
- Minimalist Backpacking Guide: How To Travel With Less
- Vietnam Packing List: How to Pack For Your Trip Like a Pro
- 12 Vegan Travel Products You Need For Your Next Trip
Plan Your Trip
Planning a trip is a daunting task. With so much information out there, it’s overwhelming to know where to start. Plus, as a South African, a lot of the time the information out there isn’t relevant to our needs.
- How to Book Cheap Flights From South Africa to Your Dream Destination
- 50+ Genius Ways To Save Money for Travel
- Why You Should Use a VPN When Travelling Abroad
- How to Make The Most of Your Annual Leave
South Africa Travel
South Africa is an incredible destination to explore (whether you’re a local or a tourist!). Here are my best posts for helping you plan the perfect South Africa trip.
- The Ultimate South Africa Bucket List: 40+ Amazing Places to Visit
- The Perfect Cape Town Itinerary for One Incredible Week
- A Local’s Guide to 45+ Awesome Things to Do in Cape Town
- 15+ Irresistible Day Trips from Cape Town
- An Epic One Week Garden Route Itinerary (Detailed)
- The Best of the Panorama Route South Africa: 2-Day Itinerary
- Visiting Kruger National Park: Everything You Need to Know
- 10+ Spectacular Road Trips in South Africa You Can’t Miss!
- Top Romantic Getaways in South Africa
- The Perfect Itinerary for an Epic South Africa Road Trip
- 8+ Stunning, Drool-Worthy Places to See the Namaqualand Flowers
- The Ultimate iSimangaliso Wetland Park Travel Guide
- Hiking Tugela Falls: Africa’s Highest Waterfall
- Hiking The Otter Trail in South Africa: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know